Music / W / White Cardinal / Biography
- White Cardinal
- LetsSingIt Music Player
- play all songs
- 0, 0 of your friends
add to favorites
- This artist has no moderator.
- Last updated biographies
05/12/2013 Flux Pavilion 04/12/2013 Nazareth 04/12/2013 Dead Kennedys 04/12/2013 Steve Miller Band 03/12/2013 Bob Marley 02/12/2013 Noahstradamus 02/12/2013 Netherworld Dancing Toys 02/12/2013 Pier Beland 01/12/2013 Deep Dish 01/12/2013 The Oedipus Complex 01/12/2013 John Rowles 01/12/2013 Bunny Walters 01/12/2013 The Judes 01/12/2013 Keith Green 30/11/2013 Annie Crummer
White Cardinal - Biography
|last update : 04-05-2012 06:32|
White Cardinal is a Juno Award nominated progressive rock band from Ottawa, Canada.
The band was formed by Matt Gowan in 1988 while he was still in high school. For the next 5 years, the band played in local clubs and opened numerous local concerts. The band released their debut album in 1993.
In 1995, the band signed with Atlantic Records for the release of their second album. In 1996, the self titled album was released. The album proved to be sucessful in Canada, going Gold and gaining the band a best new artist nomination at the 1997 Juno Awards.
In 1998, Between Seeing and Believing was released. The album debuted at #4 in Canada and went platinum.
In 2001, the band's 4th full length album, Blank Odyssey, debuted at #1 in Canada and was nominated for the Best Rock Album award at the 2002 Juno Awards.
In 2002, the band announced a hiatus, and Matt Gowan released his debut solo album the next year. The band began work on a fifth album in 2004.
In 2005, the band's fifth album, Not Drawn to Scale, was released. The album debuted at #2 in Canada. The album yielded yet another nomination for Best Rock Album, but lost to Nickelback for the second time.
White Cardinal began a period of inactivity in early 2007. In 2008, Matthew Gowan released his second solo album Vacuous in June and Daniel Eckerson's side project Demand For Suspense released their debut album in August.
In 2009, White Cardinal began work on their long awaited 6th studio album. After over a year of periodic writing and sessions in which 26 total songs were written and recorded, All That Shines Beneath The Sun was released on October 4th, 2010. The album sold 28,000 copies in Canada in its first week to top the charts there.
2011 saw the release of the live album Go Spread Your Wings, and an EP of additional songs recorded during the All That Shines Beneath The Sun album sessions. The group's world tour wrapped up in September 2011.
White Cardinal have been influenced by artists they grew up listening to, such as Pink Floyd, Rush, King Crimson, Genesis, Iron Maiden, The Cure, and The Cult. Among their peers that they are influenced by are Radiohead, Porcupine Tree, Tool, and Soundgarden.
Matthew Gowan - vocals, guitar (1988 - present)
Daniel Eckerson - guitar (1988 - present)
Ken Lipinski - bass (1993 - present)
Roger Nye - drums (1994 - present)
Matthew Sulberry - bass (1988 - 1993)
Pat Mueller - drums (1988 - 1990)
William Courtney - drums (1990 - 1994)
* Full Length Premiere - 1993 (Looseblast Records, re-released in 1996 on Atlantic with bonus tracks)
* White Cardinal - 1996 (Atlantic Records) #23 Canada [Gold]
* Between Seeing and Believing - 1998 (Atlantic Records) #4 Canada [2x Platinum]
* Blank Odyssey - 2001 (Atlantic Records) #1 Canada [Platinum], #154 US
* Not Drawn to Scale - 2005 (Atlantic Records) #2 Canada [Platinum], #89 US
* All That Shines Beneath The Sun - 2010 (Roadrunner Records) #1 Canada, #49 US
* Go Spread Your Wings (Live Album) - 2011 (Roadrunner Records) #4 Canada
* Pales Beneath The Moon EP - 2011 (Roadrunner Records) #14 Canada
* So Many Days - 1993
* Dead Orchid - 1996 (#17 Canadian Singles Chart, #44 Canadian Hot 100)
* Still I Can Hope - 1996 (#70 Canadian Singles Chart)
* Distraction - 1998 (#7 Canadian Singles Chart, #10 Canadian Hot 100, #22 US Mainstream Rock Tracks)
* A Perfect Dream - 1999 (#11 Canadian Singles Chart, #48 Canadian Hot 100)
* Where You Leave Here - 1999
* Between Seeing and Believing - 1999 (#16 Canadian Singles Chart, #51 Canadian Hot 100)
* Perimental - 2001 (#1 Canadian Singles Chart, #10 Canadian Hot 100, #38 US Mainstream Rock Tracks)
* Encounters - 2001 (#8 Canadian Singles Chart, #85 Canadian Hot 100)
* Dust Cloud - 2001 (#64 Canadian Singles Chart)
* The Time - 2005 (#5 Canadian Singles Chart, #30 Canadian Hot 100, #28 US Mainstream Rock Tracks)
* Slow Ecstasy - 2005 (#6 Canadian Singles Chart, #35 Canadian Hot 100)
* End - 2006 (#70 Canadian Singles Chart)
* Diamond - 2006 (#39 Canadian Singles Chart)
* Hello Gallows - 2010 (#21 Canadian Hot 100, #1 Canadian Rock, #1 Canadian Alternative)
* Pales Beneath The Moon - 2011 (#62 Canadian Hot 100, #3 Canadian Rock, #10 Canadian Alternative)
* The Guide - 2011 (#90 Canadian Hot 100, #5 Canadian Rock)
* Mass Migration Holiday - 2011 (#55 Canadian Hot 100, #3 Canadian Rock, #8 Canadian Alternative)